Roundup Fellowship Logo

FAQs & Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does the term developmentally disabled mean?

A: A developmental disability occurs before a person reaches 22 years of age and causes substantial impairment of intellectual functioning. (An impairment of intellectual functioning generally means that the person has an IQ of 70 or below.) Sometimes a person can have an IQ above 70 and be considered developmentally disabled if they have impaired adaptive behaviors in at least two skill areas. The skill areas include communication, self-care, home living, social skills, community use, self-direction, health and safety, functional academics, leisure, and work. Developmental disabilities are most often attributable to mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, or other neurological conditions.

Q: What causes developmental disability?

A: The cause of a developmental disability is not always known. Some disorders have a genetic link, and environmental factors can sometimes be indicated. Generally, no one can tell you specifically why your child has a developmental disability, and your neighbor’s child does not.

Q: Can developmental disabilities be cured?

A: At this point in time, we do not know what specifically causes developmental disabilities, so we cannot “fix” or cure what is wrong with your child’s brain. He or she will not “grow out of the problem.” However, people with developmental disabilities can and do get better. They can lead happy and productive lives when appropriate treatment is begun, and support is initiated. Roundup has had over 40 years of success in helping individuals who have developmental disability learn new skills and behaviors. We focus on individual strengths and positive reinforcements to make lasting changes.

Q: How are your programs funded?

A: Roundup receives funding from a variety of sources. Adult day and vocational programs, In-Home Training services, and adult residential and Supported Living Services are paid for through community center boards as well as with State, County, and Medicaid funds. Educational services are generally paid for by local school districts and Colorado Department of Education monies. Children’s residential services are usually funded by county Departments of Human Services. In addition, Roundup is able to accept money from private insurance companies as well as from individuals or families who choose to pay for services privately.

Q: What is the role of the family once a person is placed in residential care?

A: Family support and involvement is important. Our residential teams want to involve families and friends as much as possible in our clients’ lives. We respect the wishes of the family and recognize that making a decision to place a loved one in residential care is emotionally difficult. Our staff members are caring, committed, and compassionate, however; we can not replace the love of a family. We have found that when our clients have supportive families, they lead happier lives and are better able to adjust to life in a residential facility. We encourage you to visit our programs and talk to our staff, clients, and family members before making this hard decision.

Q: What is the length of placement for residential services?

A: Roundup specializes in long-term care for the children and adults who live in our facilities. We recognize that it takes our clients a long time to make significant changes and that we can best help influence this change by providing stability and consistency in our programs. Most of our clients live with us for several years; however, there are times when short-term placement is more appropriate. For more information about our children or adult residential services, contact Jodi Marquez at

Q: What is a community-centered board?

A: Community Centered Boards (CCB’s) are the Single Entry Point to provide intake and Resource Coordination (Case Management) services for people who have a developmental disability. Since 1963, CCB’s have managed and delivered services, in partnership with private service providers, to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families throughout the state of Colorado. Currently, there are 20 Community Centered Boards that serve approximately 11,000 people (almost 96% of the state’s developmentally disabled population) and their families in every county across the state. Services may also be available to qualifying individuals at local Departments of Human Services.

Q: Who do I contact if I want to volunteer or donate funds or in-kind goods?

A: Please contact us at or (303) 757-8008


The following links and resources are provided as a courtesy to help others find information on disability-related subjects. Roundup Fellowship does not endorse, support, or have responsibility for the content of these sites. This is not an all-inclusive list.

If you would like to be added to our resource page, please contact us at (303) 757-8008 or

Ability Connection Colorado
American Association on Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities
Autism Society
Consortium of Citizens with Disabilities
Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
Learning Disabilities Association
Mental Health Center of Denver
National Association for the Dually Diagnosed
National Association of Mental Illness
National Information Center for Children and Youths with Disabilities
The National Fragile X Foundation
Rocky Mountain Down Syndrome Association

The ARC United States (ARC)
Advocacy Denver
Colorado Cross Disability Coalition
Disability Law Colorado

Administration for Children and Families
Colorado Association of Non-Profit Organizations
Colorado Department of Education
Colorado Department of Human Services
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Behavioral Growing Tree
Rocky Mountain Human Services 
Developmental Disability Resource Center
Developmental Pathways
North Metro Community Services
The Resource Exchange

Parent to Parent
Peak Parent

Cerebral Palsy Guide
Cerebral Palsy Group
Children’s Hospital
Autism Spectrum Alliance
Easter Seals
JFK Partners
Pikes Peak Mental Health
Special Olympics
Pikes Peak Mental Health

Autism Speaks – Dentist Toolkit
Autism Speaks
Top Autism Organizations & Web Resources
AACAP Autism Resource Center

Product Diggers
Resume and cover letter templates and assistance
Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents
CDC Autism Links and Resources
Operation Autism for Military Families
Academic Accommodation Resources
Dental visits for Children with Autism